We’d had a rash of break-ins throughout our neighborhood recently, and I didn’t want our house to be next. I’d heard of smart doorbells, which allow you to appear to be at home no matter where you, and thought I might want one for my house. I started doing some research and came across an August Doorbell Cam review online. Once I finished reading, I knew my search was over. This was the doorbell camera for my house.
How it works
The August Doorbell Cam works in conjunction with an August Smart Lock to provide you with the best security possible. The camera has a motion detector that activates whenever someone comes to your front porch, even if they don’t ring the doorbell, and sends an alert to your smartphone.
You get one-way video of your visitor, and you can even have a conversation with them through your smartphone’s August app—whether you’re in your bedroom or at the grocery store a mile away.
- Alerts every time your doorbell is rung
- On-demand video provides a live feed to monitor whoever is outside your front door
- One-way HD camera lets you see who’s there, without them being able to look back
- The camera records each time a visitor comes to your door for easy replay
Some features require you to also have an August Smart Lock installed. Now that I’ve had my doorbell camera a few months, the lock will be my next purchase. Here’s why:
- You can lock and unlock your door with the touch of a button. Screen who’s at the door, decide to let them in, then unlock the door for them remotely
- Check your lock’s status anytime. You have no idea how many times I forget to lock the front door, so not having to drive home to check erases one headache from my life
- You get alerts every time someone enters or leaves your house
This was a little trickier than I would have liked, but I was finally able to install it after reading through the directions twice—the second time, a little more carefully. The box comes with all the mounting hardware you need, including that little wrench I always seem to lose from my previous DIY project.
The doorbell cam connects to your existing analog wired doorbell and uses its existing current. You will need a steady Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth capability on your smartphone to use the app.
When I was reading all the online reviews, the August doorbell cam’s video quality was what sold me on this product. It comes with a 960H camera with HD quality video and a 140-degree field of view. As doorbellhome.org said in its review, “The camera gives it a clear win in the range of other products available,” and I have to agree.
I haven’t had any issues with the audio quality, and when I looked through all the August doorbell reviews, I didn’t see any reports of problems. It’s nothing fancy—a simple built-in microphone and speaker installed in the doorbell frame—but gets the job done.
Pros & Cons
- I love the motion-sensing camera that alerts you if someone comes to your front porch, whether the doorbell is rung or not
- It records video of all visitors, so if you missed someone or just want to replay a conversation—say, if the police come knocking about prowlers in the neighborhood—you can do so through the app
- You get live video and two-way audio to interact with visitors
- I also like the look of the square doorbell casing better than some of the other top-selling models out there, and while I chose the black model, you might like the silver better
- Once I get the August smart lock that works with the doorbell cam, I’ll have a perfectly integrated security system that I can control with one app
- OK, like I said, I didn’t like how involved the installation process was. It requires mounting brackets, which put a couple new holes into the side of my house, and the casing doesn’t always fit into your door frame
- It doesn’t come with an infrared LED light for night vision, so if you forget to turn your porch light on, you don’t get the best view
- While a lot of the bells and whistles have been added, be aware that August can sometimes be slow with updates
I am very happy with my purchase of the August Doorbell Cam—so happy, I’m going to add the smart lock real soon. I don’t know if the doorbell cam scared off the burglary gang that’s roamed our neighborhood, but I haven’t been hit yet, and I sleep easier knowing that the doorbell cam is on the job to keep them away. You can check out more smart doorbells here.